Monday, June 1, 2009

Sunday Night Fever

So if you look at the baby ticker on the side of the blog, it's starting to count up from the due date. So that's how many days PAST due I am!!

I've been battling a cold for almost 2 weeks now and have a VERY irritating cough that likes to act up at nights especially, which prevents me from sleeping and keeps Tim up.

Well, last night I felt a little feverish and decided to take my temperature and it was at 100.2 degrees. I was a little freaked out because I got a paper from the hospital a few weeks ago with a list of things that I should call for if they occur and having a temperature of 100.3 is on the list. So I took 2 Tylenol Cold pills that would help with my cough and stuffy nose too.

I kept taking my temperature and it just kept going up! It got up to 100.6 degrees at one point and then wouldn't budge from 100.5 for just over an hour!

I also hadn't really felt the baby move in quite a while and was concerned that the fever was affecting him in a negative way. (Decreased fetal movement is also on the list of things to call the hospital about.)

At this point I'm really stressing and called my mom. She told me that I should call the hospital just to make sure that they didn't want me to come in to check things out.

I called Labor & Delivery and was transfered to a labor nurse. She told me that she wasn't that concerned about the fever and was mostly concerned about the baby not really moving. So she told me that she wanted me to drink a big glass of juice and then a big glass of water and then lay on the couch for 30 minutes and focus on feeling the baby move. After the 30 minutes, she wanted me to call her back to let her know if the baby was moving.

So I drank a whole glass of OJ and then drank almost a full glass of water (I was getting really full) and then layed down. Karsen started moving almost right away and even kicked me really hard a few times. I tried counting how many times I felt him move but it's really hard, especially when I am coughing every 2 minutes!

I called the nurse back and told her that he seemed to be moving just fine and that my temperature had finally gone down to 99.6 degrees. She was glad and told me to take it easy and keep hydrated.

That's what I've been doing most of today. I signed us up for Blockbuster by mail and had gotten our first movie on Friday but hadn't watched it yet, mostly because it was a chick flick that Tim had no interest in seeing - Bride Wars with Kate Hudson (one of my favs!) and Anne Hathaway. So I watched that today in bed. Probably the only thing productive I've done all day is take a shower! Haha!

So long story short, I'm ok and so is Karsen - he just is still in my belly. I have a feeling that we WILL be making it to our doctor's appointment on Wednesday...
I guess he'll come out eventually! He can't stay in there forever!!

Love, Michaela

1 comment:

monica said...

ahhh, seriously the insanity of the final weeks of pregnancy!
glad to know both you and Karsen are ok.
it must be a Bean thing, all of my boys were late. Alexander was the most overdue, i believe it was 8 days.
each and everyday seem like a year!
hang in there. :)