Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How do you know you're having a rough day?

I thought Sunday would be a fairly good day, especially since Karsen slept for 5 hours the night before! But when he loses all the milk he had drank all over you, 3 times in 1 morning, it usually means it's going to be a rough day.

I guess Karsen really wanted me to wash the sheets on our bed because of course not only did his breakfast get all over me, but all over our bed as well. And this was not just a little bit of spit up each time, it was EVERYTHING he had just drank previously.

I of course freaked out a bit because I thought that A) what came up was too much to be defined as just spit up and B) 3 times in 1 morning? That seemed a bit much to me. I called my mom for advice - that's what they're for, right? Hehe ;-)

She said that he probably is getting too much air in his belly while he eats and the milk gets caught on top of the air bubble in his belly and when the air comes up, so does everything on top of it. Yay...

I did some research online to see what I can do to help prevent him from getting so much air in his belly each time he eats. So now feeding times take a bit longer, but so far it seems to be working (he's only lost everything once since then.)

Here's the new feeding ritual:
- While he eats, I rub his belly in slow circles to help everything settle in his stomach
- Also while he eats, I try to hold him in a more sitting upright position so that everything goes down better
- Every couple of minutes or so while he's eating, I will stop him and burp him to get any air bubbles out
- After he's done eating, I sit him upright for 10-15 minutes to make sure everything makes it down to his belly
- Sometimes if it seems like he's uncomfortable or got too much air, I will lay him on his back and move his legs in circle like he's riding a bicycle, which helps get air out and he also seems to like this too
- Oh and I now have towels laid out pretty much everywhere that I feed him, just in case

Anyone else experienced this or have any other tips on how to prevent so much air from getting into his little belly?

Luckily we had his first pediatrician appointment yesterday and I brought it up to her. She asked if it was just milk coming up each time or if there was more coming up with it. Since it is just milk each time, she said it is just the air bubbles he's getting and said everything I'm doing will help but otherwise she didn't seem concerned.

On a good note, Karsen weighed 7lbs 8oz at his appointment - which is 4oz more than his birth weight! The doctor was pleased with this and said he's doing really well.

I don't really have any pictures to go with this post (although I'm sure you're not too sad about not seeing pictures of Karsen losing his food...), not to mention the camera battery has been dead for a few days now.

But here's a picture from last week (Friday I think), just because:


I hope to have more pictures to post later this week.

Love, Michaela

No comments: