Thursday, October 8, 2009

4 Months Old

This past Monday Karsen had his 4 month checkup with Dr. Graham. I of course forgot my camera in the car, so I was only able to get these two pictures with my phone:

Here are Karsen's 4 month stats:
Weight: 12lbs, 13.5oz / Percentile: 10%
Length (Height): 24.75" / Percentile: 50%
Head Circumference: 42cm / Percentile: 50%


I guess by 4 months, babies should be double their birth weight. Karsen was 7lbs, 4oz at birth, so he should be about 14lbs, 8oz now. Well he's not, obviously. Luckily the doctor isn't concerned about it at all because she said that he's still progressing steadily every time she sees him.

Sometimes I blame myself for how skinny he is, and not because I'm usually skinny myself. It's because I feel like I'm not able to feed him enough anymore. My milk supply has seemed to decrease since I've come back to work, which is very discouraging. I finally caved about 2 weeks or so ago and let Tim give him a bottle of formula. He's had about a bottle of formula once a day since. I know that there are lots of babies who are fed formula, but I just wasn't ready for Karsen to have formula yet. All during the pregnancy, all you hear about it how much better for the baby it is for them to get breastmilk and now I just feel like a failure. He's still getting breastmilk, but he also gets formula too.

I guess just as long as Karsen is happy and healthy, that's all that really matters.

Love, Michaela

3 comments:

Unknown said...

He is perfect! I was never breast feed and I turned out okay...I guess!;)

Unknown said...

Okay I meant "fed"...now it looks like formula was a bad idea for me...

Bart and Jill said...

Just don't give up breastfeeding!! It is the best bonding experience for the little babe! He is darling by the way ;) Breastfeeding is my favorite thing with little Holden and he is 1 now!!