Monday, November 16, 2009

Aunt Deb

I know this post should be more about the California trip that happened forever ago, but due to recent events I feel that I need to post this first.

This past Thursday, November 12th, we lost my Aunt Deborah (my dad's sister) to ovarian cancer.
It's been a rough and busy few days since, with family and organizing for the memorial service that was held today.

I was in charge of creating the service program and I also put together a picture slideshow to music sung by Deb (she is the best singer I've ever known!)

I thought I would share the slideshow on here:


This is the obituary that her sons wrote for her and had printed in the paper over the weekend:
Deborah LaRue BEAN

This poised, stylish, vivacious mother of 4, vocal performer, seminary teacher, and athlete finally succumbed to ovarian cancer after 57 years of a colorful and passionate life. Like her mother before her, she wasted nothing, spared nothing, and gave all she was and had to those around her. She was a Brunette, Red-Head, and Blonde and enjoyed life as each one. She is remembered by her 4 sons, 6 grand children, and the unnumbered family and friends that love and miss her graciousness, energy, and elegance.


I have such great memories of Aunt Deb and will always cherish them: singing along to songs like Savage Garden and country, getting our nails done, playing tennis in Sun Valley, and shopping! We used to love how she would always joke that my dad had her daughters!

I feel blessed and priveleged to have had her in my life! I am also grateful that Karsen was able to meet her as well, even though he won't ever remember it. At least we have picture proof.

Aunt Deb holding Karsen at the hospital, the day he was born - just over 5 months ago! Doesn't she look amazing?

I love her and will miss her terribly!

Love, Michaela

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Michaela, I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt Deb. I watched the video, you did an amazing job. She was extremely beautiful and had a great voice. It's hard losing those we love but we'll all be together again one day. :) May your warm memories help you through these hard times.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful woman. Thank you so much for sharing.

May you and your family feel surrounded by the love of God and love of each other.

Renee said...

Michaela - I read your blog post quite awhile back but never had a chance to look at the slide show until tonight. That was an amazingly beautiful tribute to your aunt. She was very beautiful and had an incredible voice. What a nice way to remember her.

Anonymous said...

Dear Michaela,

Firstly, I am so sorry to hear of Deb's passing. I had the pleasure to work with her when she was living in NYC. It seems we worked together in 2000/2001 at a place called Da Antonio on E 55th St. People loved her voice as did I and as you know she was a perfectionist in everything she did. Her looks, her makeup, her nails, her clothes, always very polished. Her voice was nothing less. She always wanted everything to be perfect in so far as her music. Her human qualities were many and her sense of humor and craziness. We had a lot of fun. I don't know what happenned but we kind of lost contact, maybe because of her making a decision to move back to Washington state. I would like to know more of her history afte she left NYC. I don't even know what year she left. I remember her nic apt over on the Hudson and sometimes I would go there but most often she would come to my apt where I had a big Yamaha 7 1/2 ft grand where we woudl rehearse and go out after and get a bite to eat. She wasa gem of a talent and a person.

Please give my condolences to your father the rest of your uncles and your great grandparents if they are still alive. She was a gift to all who came into contact with her.
If you feel like contactin me, my email is bryonsommers@hotmail.com.